I am a engineer, entrepreneur and author and trainee patent attorney, having had significant involvement in software development, marketing and management with a number of technology start-ups.
Recently joined D Young & Co. as a Technical Assistant to begin training as a Patent Attorney. My roles include patent prosecution for a range of technical inventions in the telecommunications, semiconductor, image processing, cloud technology and digital systems industries, among others.
EXPERIENCED SOFTWARE ENGINEER
My professional industry experience has primarily been in the mobile and information security sectors where I have been solely responsible for the design and implementation of a range of novel and innovative consumer products.
MULTI-DISCIPLINARY PROJECT MANAGER
Through my freelance consultancy I have delivered high-spec mobile applications, web applications and marketing campaigns to a range of clients across many industries. As the sales representative and licensee, I have also been responsible for the roll-out, business development, sales and marketing of an award winning student trading platform.
I authored ‘Programming: A Primer’, published by Imperial College Press, as an introductory textbook on practical computer science. Previously, I sold over 500 copies of its predecessor, ‘Programming for Everyday Life’.
Specialities: Patent prosecution, IP law, digital systems, display technology, product management, entrepreneurship, start-ups, cyber-security consultancy, full-stack software development, multi-language object-oriented programming, British politics, economics, marketing and brand identity, and business development.
I’m always looking for new problems to solve, so if you think I can help with something, please get in touch with me via email: email@example.com.
MEng Electronic Engineering with Mobile and Secure Systems, University of Southampton (completion in 2015)
- C# Programming – 82%
- Mobile Systems – 77%
- Engineering Physics – 87%
- Digital Circuits & Microprocessors – 79%
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd year average of 76% (1st)
- Maths A, Physics A, Electronics A*, Citizenship (AS) A, English Language and Literature (AS) B, Extended Project Qualification (AS) B
I can program competently in a range of object oriented languages and others including C/C++, Java, C#, Python, SQL and HTML5. I have professional or significant academic experience in OpenGL, Spring MVC, Android dev., Windows Phone 7 dev., and Matlab. I’m familiar with version management systems such as Git and with a range of development environments including Eclipse, Visual Studio and NetBeans.
I can design hardware in SystemVerilog and and familiar with basic CPU and ALU designs, including MIPS pipelining, carry-lookahead and carry-save adders, and CORDIC. I understand signal processing and control theory principles; electromagnetism; digital logic, and am competent in engineering mathematics such as ODE’s and PDE’s, matrices, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, Fourier and Laplace transforms and linear algebra.
- Analytical, critical reasoning and decision making skills
- Commercial awareness
- Teamwork, communication and problem solving skills
- Sales and marketing, management, product development and finance
LANGUAGES & UNDERSTANDING
- C/C++, Java, Objective-C, Python
- Full-stack web development
- Matlab and several toolboxes
- Machine learning and algorithm design
- Information security
- TCP/IP, network architecture and security
- Computer architecture and digital systems
- IP and Patent Law
Conferences and Awards
- Oxford Inspires, 2014, 2015
- Science and Religion Course, Faraday Institute, Cambridge, 2014
- EF UnHacked, 2014
- EF Good Night Hack, 2014
- MWR InfoSecurity HackFu, 2014
- MWR InfoSecurity Project Award, 2014
- BAE Systems AI Cyber Academy, 2013
- Zepler Scholarship, 2011
Trainee Patent Attorney, D Young & Co LLP, Sept 2015 – Present
- Drafting and prosecuting UK and EPO patents
- Particularly focussing on digital electronics, embedded systems, telecommunications and computer architectures
Business Development Executive, Uni Media Mash Ltd, Sept 2014 – August 2015
- Responsible for sales and marketing, business development and product development of Uni Media Mash at the University of Southampton
Freelance Software and Marketing Consultant, Nov 2013 – August 2015
- Developed web and mobile applications in HTML5, Python, Java and Objective-C
- Delivered marketing strategies, promotional material and managed social media marketing campaigns
Founder and Developer, Eminode Software Ltd, Nov 2013 – February 2015
- Managed distributed team of designers, developers and marketing consultants to deliver high quality bespoke web and mobile applications, brand identities and business development strategies.
Computer Security and Development Intern, MWR InfoSecurity Ltd, June 2014 – September 2014
- Designed and developed a commercial distributed wireless intrusion detection system as a web service in Python
- Conduced penetration tests of commercial web applications to discover and exploit vulnerabilities
Software Engineer and Cyber Security Consultant Intern, BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, June 2013 – September 2013
- Designed and developed a secure mobile device management system as a web application with a Java back-end
Tom Bell425 Burgess road Southampton
United Kingdom firstname.lastname@example.org
+44 (0)7919 825697